The first step to getting rid of bed bugs is identifying if you have an infestation
- Contact your local council or pest control service – it’s unlikely you’ll be able to get rid of bedbugs yourself .
- Wash affected bedding and clothing – use a hot wash (60C) or tumble dry on a hot setting for at least 30 minutes
- Put affected clothing and bedding in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer (-16C) for 4 days (alternative to hot washing)
- Clean and vacuum regularly – bedbugs are found in both clean and dirty places, but regular cleaning will help you spot them early
Things to avoid:
- Do not keep clutter around your bed
- Do not bring secondhand furniture indoors without carefully checking it first
- Do not take luggage or clothing indoors without checking it carefully if you’ve come from somewhere where you know or suspect there were bedbugs
Are you checking you home?